2 year part time (0.4 FTE) contract based in Darwin
Menzies School of Health Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes dedicated to improving Indigenous, global and tropical health. Menzies has a history of over 30 years of scientific discovery and public health achievement. Menzies works at the frontline, joining with partners across the Asia-Pacific as well as Indigenous communities across Northern and Central Australia.
About the position:
The Research Assistant position sits within the Menzies-Ramaciotti Centre which strives to deliver training focused on building the biomedical workforce in regional and remote Australia. The Research Assistant will work within a laboratory-based role and will primarily be involved in the development and delivery of training in microbiological and molecular methods for junior staff, students and trainees.
The Research Assistant will:
- Assist with coordination, supervision and mentoring of junior laboratory students and trainees.
- Support laboratory-based trainees in career progression, attending professional development opportunities and presenting at conferences.
- Develop resources for supporting delivery of competency-based training of junior laboratory staff, students and trainees.
- Deliver laboratory training to staff, students and trainees as required.
- Develop a laboratory-based work experience program suitable for high school students.
- Prepare and maintain training resources, including laboratory Standard Operating Procedures.
- Maintain high-quality laboratory records and assist with maintaining laboratory supplies.
- Attend and participate in team meetings and presentations as requested. Work as part of a team in the laboratory and as a member of a larger, multi-disciplinary team.
- Observe the ethical guidelines and practices required by Menzies. Strictly observe all safety and other workplace guidelines and procedures. Observe financial and administrative guidelines and assist with planning where required.
The successful applicant will have:
- Bachelor of Science with Honours or equivalent experience.
- Experience in training and mentoring of youth or junior laboratory staff, including development of training programs or modules.
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures and safety, and a demonstrated commitment to quality control.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake laboratory procedures with the highest care, rigour and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated capacity to work as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision, high-level organisational and time management skills, ability to show leadership and initiative, while maintaining strong collaborative team relationships.
- Highly developed ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to a range of audiences including a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience in managing laboratory data, including management of raw data exported from a range of programs, and data collation in common database programs.
- The ability to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures and age groups.
- An understanding and awareness of relevant Workplace Health and Safety as well as Equal Opportunity principles and legislation along with commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe workplace for all Menzies staff, students, volunteers and visitors.
- Working with children OCHRE card or ability to obtain one upon commencement.
Contact: Dr Robyn Marsh on 08 8946 8563 or email@example.com
What we offer:
- 6 weeks annual leave
- Option to increase super to 14%
- Attractive salary package and benefits $89,658 - $114,604 pro-rata salary package (comprising gross salary $68,797 - $90,576 pro-rata, superannuation and salary packaging benefits.
Closing date: 5 July 2020
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
For information on how to apply for this position and to obtain the Position Description and Selection Criteria please visit www.menzies.edu.au/careers or phone 08 8946 8626.