As one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of Indigenous Australians, and a leader in global and tropical research into life-threatening illnesses, Menzies School of Health Research continues to translate its research into effective partnerships and programs in communities across Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
About the position:
The Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Technician/Mentor will contribute to capacity building in the National Health Laboratory (NHL) and laboratory network. The position will be based full time in Dili, Timor-Leste.
The incumbent will join a team including the Menzies Laboratory Information Manager, Medical Laboratory Science Mentors, as well as Timorese laboratory scientists, some employed by Menzies and others employed by the NHL.
The Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Technician (Mentor) will:
- Together with the Project Leads and Menzies Laboratory team, support the development of LIMS capacity within the National Health Laboratory (NHL).
- Provide on-the-job mentoring for NHL and hospital staff who use the LIMS.
- Liaise with the LIMS provider to extend function of the network and provide solutions.
- Work with the Laboratory Information Manager and Project Leads to identify information technology needs relevant to Menzies projects and develop strategies to address them.
- Provide technical support for computers, networking and software issues related to implementation and development of the LIMS.
- Support laboratory scientist staff with use of the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), and processes for linked electronic reporting for clinical and surveillance purposes.
The successful applicant will have:
- Extensive experience and expertise or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education in the field of technology or laboratory science
- Proven experience working in information technology and laboratory settings.
- Proven ability to manage information technology needs across a range of devices and software platforms.
- Experience teaching, training, and supervising in a laboratory setting.
- Expertise in health systems strengthening and capacity development in low resource settings
- Ability to correspond with stakeholders, manage sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to be patient, flexible and pragmatic, especially in a cross-cultural setting.
- Initiative, good judgement and strong problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to work under broad direction as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Willingness to engage across human and animal health sectors with a One Health approach to capacity building.
- Undertake a National Police Clearance, hold a working with Children Clearance (Ochre card) and be able to obtain working rights in East Timor.
- Ability to communicate in Tetum, Bahasa Indonesian or Portuguese an advantage.
What we offer:
- 6 weeks annual leave
- Option to increase super to 14%
- Attractive salary package including superannuation and salary packaging benefits $128,298 - $138,719 pa, pro-rata (comprising a gross salary of $102,636 - $111,778).
Contact: Juliette Mundy on 08 8946 8609
or email email@example.com
Closing date: Sunday, 24th October 2021
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are required to address the selection criteria. For information on how to apply for this position and to obtain the Position Description and Selection Criteria please visit https://www.menzies.edu.au/page/Careers/Information_for_applicants/ or phone 08 8946 8409
To apply for this position please click this link and click apply or phone 08 8946 8626