Full-time (100% FTE), fixed- term contract until 31 December 2023
based in Dili Timor-Leste
As one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of Indigenous Australians, and a leader in global and tropical research into life-threatening illnesses, Menzies School of Health Research continues to translate its research into effective partnerships and programs in communities across Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
About the position:
The medical laboratory scientist mentor will contribute to capacity building within the serology and molecular departments of the National Health Laboratory (NHL). The role will contribute to teaching and technical advice for laboratory activities relevant to strengthening the surveillance system in the human health sector, including the introduction of new equipment and new tests. The role will work to strengthen quality, biosafety, stock management and forecasting within the NHL, working closely with Timorese scientists employed by NHL and Menzies. There will be opportunities to contribute to mentoring and training in operational research and public health surveillance, with a focus on disease areas including HIV, malaria and COVID-19.
The Medical Laboratory Scientist Mentor will:
- Together with the Project Leads and Menzies Laboratory team, support the development of capacity within the National Health Laboratory (NHL) for laboratory diagnostics, quality assurance and surveillance.
- Provide on-the-job mentoring for laboratory staff at NHL, with a focus on quality assured PCR and serology testing.
- Assist NHL staff with coordination of routine internal and external quality assurance (EQA) activities and development / revision of SOPs.
- Work together with the NHL biosafety officers to implement policies and procedures that will lead to improved biosafety in laboratory sites
- Assist project leads with reporting requirements for funders, collaborators, and internal purposes as required.
The successful applicant will have:
- Postgraduate qualification(s) or progress towards postgraduate qualification(s) and extensive relevant experience in medical laboratory science; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Proven experience working as a Medical Scientist in a diagnostic laboratory with evidence of expertise in PCR and serological diagnostic techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to lead quality assurance and biosafety improvements in a medical laboratory.
- Experience teaching, training and supervising medical laboratory scientists.
- Expertise in tropical diseases, health systems strengthening and capacity development in low-resource settings.
- Ability to correspond with stakeholders, manage sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to be patient, flexible and pragmatic, especially in a cross-cultural setting.
- Initiative, good judgement and strong problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to work under broad direction as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Undertake a National Police Clearance, hold a Working With Children Clearance (Ochre card or equivalent) and be able to obtain working rights in Timor-Leste.
- Ability to communicate in Tetum, Bahasa Indonesian or Portuguese an advantage.
What we offer:
- 6 weeks annual leave
- Option to increase super to 14%
- Attractive salary package including superannuation and salary packaging benefits $128,298 - $138,719 pro-rata (comprising a gross salary of $102,636 - $111,778).
Contact: Juliette Mundy on 08 8946 8609 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Sunday, 24th October 2021
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are required to address the selection criteria. For information on how to apply for this position and to obtain the Position Description and Selection Criteria please visit
To apply for this position please click this link and click apply or phone 08 8946 8409