As one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of Indigenous Australians, and a leader in global and tropical research into life-threatening illnesses, Menzies School of Health Research continues to translate its research into effective partnerships and programs in communities across Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
The Menzies Global and Tropical Health (GTH) Division is committed to dealing with key areas of public health concern that impact on the health and wellbeing of people and communities across northern Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. With a focus on translational research, we shape our research program through close collaboration with a diverse range of healthcare providers, policy makers and researchers, to target priority health issues. Our aim is to find meaningful and relevant ways to improve the health of people in our region.
Menzies has an office in Dili, Timor-Leste with around 40 Timorese and expatriate staff employed in-country, supporting the delivery of capacity-building and research projects. A number of projects are being conducted through the office under a Memorandum of Understanding between Menzies and the Ministry of Health.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Menzies Timor-Leste Molecular and Serology Scientist will support Menzies work in the molecular and serology departments within the National Health Laboratory (LNS). The Scientist will work alongside LNS scientists in projects aimed at strengthening diagnosis and surveillance of infectious diseases in Timor-Leste. The Scientist will contribute to data collection, addressing data quality control issues, assist with the implementation of guidelines and protocols, and support training for laboratory scientists within LNS.
- Relevant qualification in medical laboratory science and relevant experience in a diagnostic molecular and serology laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Tetun, and ability to communicate verbally in English.
- Proven ability to manage sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Willingness to learn, continuously improve and respond positively to feedback and supervision
- Experience in activities related to laboratory quality assurance
- Demonstrated initiative, good judgement and strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently without direct supervision, under broad direction and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience of maintaining good organisational and time management skills and proven ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding of and commitment to Menzies values, the principles of Equal Opportunity and contributing to a safe and inclusive workplace.
- Good written and verbal communication in English
Closing date: 5th December 2021
To apply for this position, please refer to http://careers.menzies.edu.au/ and select / click on the Molecular and Serology Scientist - Local Position Menzies, Dili, Timor-Leste role. Please ensure to attach your application letter and Curriculum Vitae with three references and responds to the selection criteria if possible. A Copy of Identity Card/ BI or Electoral Card and Copy of Good behavior certificate (kelakuan baik) before or by the 5th December 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Menzies Timor-Leste is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.