As one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of Indigenous Australians, and a leader in global and tropical research into life-threatening illnesses, Menzies School of Health Research continues to translate its research into effective partnerships and programs in communities across Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
The Menzies Global and Tropical Health (GTH) Division is committed to dealing with key areas of public health concern that impact on the health and wellbeing of people and communities across northern Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. With a focus on translational research, we shape our research program through close collaboration with a diverse range of healthcare providers, policy makers and researchers, to target priority health issues. Our aim is to find meaningful and relevant ways to improve the health of people in our region.
Menzies has an office in Dili, Timor-Leste with around 40 Timorese and expatriate staff employed in-country, supporting the delivery of capacity-building and research projects. A number of projects are being conducted through the office under a Memorandum of Understanding between Menzies and the Ministry of Health.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The research nurse team leader (ARIA-RISE projects) will support the work of the ARIA-RISE research studies, including socialization, recruitment, sample collection and transport and the processes and documentation required. In addition, they will support the project coordinator by leading field teams during field work, liaising with community leaders and Ministry of Health staff, and coordinating logistical needs of the field team.
- Graduate degree in nursing and relevant clinical experience in the field
- Extensive experience working in health research
- Experience in leadership roles, with demonstrated ability to lead a team
- Demonstrated ability to read maps and use them to find locations
- Proficient in performing venepuncture for blood collection, including skills and experience in collecting blood from children aged 1 year and above
- Fluent in Tetum
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Effective organisation skills and flexibility with work tasks
- Strong communication skills
- Good time management skills, with ability to work efficiently while maintaining accuracy and quality
- Clear, legible handwriting and high level competence with use of computers
- Excellent data entry skills and attention to detail – thorough, careful, accurate
- Demonstrated ability to follow procedures
- Initiative, good judgement and strong problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn, continuously improve and respond positively to feedback and supervision
- Commitment to responsible, accurate communication that maintains confidentiality of private information, promotes positive health messages, and avoids spreading false, misleading or potentially harmful information
- Willingness to travel to municipalities for ARIA-RISE research projects as required
- An understanding and awareness of relevant Workplace Health and Safety as well as Equal Opportunity principles and legislation along with a commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe workplace for all Menzies staff, students, volunteers and visitors
- Experience in project coordination or management
- Existing understanding of principles of good clinical practice in research, including holding a valid certificate of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) in research
- Good conversational English
Closing date: 5th December 2021
To apply for this position, please refer to http://careers.menzies.edu.au/ and select / click on the Research Nurse Team leader - Local Position Menzies, Dili, Timor-Leste role. Please ensure to attach your application letter and Curriculum Vitae with three references and responds to the selection criteria if possible. A Copy of Identity Card/ BI or Electoral Card and Copy of Good behavior certificate (kelakuan baik) before or by the 5th December 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Menzies Timor-Leste is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workplace. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.