Menzies School of Health Research is one of Australia’s leading health research institutes dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. It is a leader in global and tropical research and translates its research into effective partnerships and programs in communities across Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
About the Position:
The Global and Tropical Health Division within Menzies leads major malaria parasitology and treatment research programs. This work is undertaken with the support of a range of global funders including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, DFAT, UnitAid. The programs maintain collaborative relationships with Australian and a large range of overseas partners such as the Mahidol Oxford Medical Research Unit in Thailand; the Papuan Health and Community Development Foundation in Timika, Papua Indonesia; the Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology (EIMB) and the Eijkman Oxford Clinical Research Unit (EOCRU) in Indonesia; Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV) in Switzerland and the Burnet Institute in Melbourne.
The main objective of the position is to work closely with the Senior Principal Research Fellow and Postdoctoral Fellow on the UnitAid-funded VivAction grant. Core responsibilities of the position include to liaise with partners in Indonesia, PNG, Burnet and MMV; coordination of the study team at Menzies and Indonesian field sites; establishment of contractual arrangements, including MOU and subcontracts; management of study documents in collaboration with the MMV project leads; budgeting; preparation of financial and progress reports as required by MMV. Other duties include preparation of grant applications to other funders and liaison with funding bodies and overseas stakeholders.
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant will have:
- Relevant postgraduate qualification or progress towards postgraduate qualification in a related field (e.g. public health, project management, international development).
- Extensive experience and management expertise or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/ training.
- Demonstrated experience in international project management, ideally in a health and/or research context.
- Proven coordination and project management skills, including financial, reporting, contractual and donor requirements. Experience working across multiple currencies.
- High level report writing and the ability to manage sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Proven ability to build and maintain collaborative partnerships with funding bodies, partner research organisations and public health bodies, both in Australia and in an international context.
- Highly developed interpersonal and collaborative skills, including the ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and across cultures. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships remotely using various platforms and online technologies.
- High level computer skills, including the ability to work with complex Excel files.
- Strong organisation skills and the ability to work independently and effectively, prioritise workloads and work under pressure to meet tight deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong communication, negotiation and liaison skills, especially in a cross-cultural setting, and the ability to interact effectively and sensitively with people from diverse cultures.
- Experience working in health research.
- Ability to communicate in Bahasa Indonesia is an advantage.
Contact: Catherine Martel on (08)89468667 or Catherine.email@example.com
What we offer:
- 6 weeks annual leave
- Option to increase super to 14%
- Attractive salary package and benefits $ 125,890- $136,177 salary package (comprising gross salary $100,524 - $109,478 pa, pro-rata, superannuation and salary packaging benefits.
Closing date: 12 May 2021
Applicants are required to address the selection criteria. For information on how to apply for this position and to obtain the Position Description and Selection Criteria please visit http://careers.menzies.edu.au/ or phone 08 8946 8626.